Thursday, March 18, 2010

Love vs. hate Vienna

Since I´m mentioned in the Internations guide and getting more people because of my expat status I thought I would talk a little bit about Vienna. What I love and hate about Vienna

Love

I love Vienna for its beauty and stillness. I love that in a city of over 2 million people I find the same stillness as in my hometown Reykjavik with 180,000 people. And you feel safe walking around town.

And the sights, just walk around the ring and see these incredible palaces and gardens. Notice the top of the buildings, the statues...  it´s hidden beauty.

The many different sides of Vienna, the old (center), the new (kaisermühlen), the urban part (gürtel) and then the suburbs (heiligenstadt). I´m always discovering something new.

International people, love the people with different nationalities and working in an international atmosphere, the people there are just more open, positive and eager to learn about other cultures.

Public transportation. Love the u-bahn, strassenbahn and buses, it´s very easy and cheap to get around. I love it. In Iceland we only have buses that come every 30 min or an hour. Worse on weekends, so most Icelanders have cars. But i have to say i wish it was cheaper going to other countries with the trains. I wish I had a car for weekend trips to other countries around. Maybe later....

It´s great to live here....even Mercer´s survey says so (http://www.mercer.com/qualityofliving). Vienna takes care of its people regarding education, employment/unemployment, health benefits, etc. At least the ones who are in EU/EES. I wish they´d take better care of those outside it living in Vienna.

Hate

The negativity in the air in Vienna. The Viennese love to complain and it causes quite a negative atmosphere. And the worst thing is that us, the foreigners, tend to take up that habit.

It also seems to me that if there is a problem the people here yell instead of talk it out, which i cannot stand. I hate confrontation and yelling. It seems to me that people are quite frustrated and instead of deal with it, they lash it out on other people. Then there are the old people who yell at you. So a lot of yelling. The funny thing is that Austrians who comes to Vienna talk about this too, so it´s not just us foreigners that experience this.

The immigrant hate in politics and atmosphere. I would have thought that in an international city such as Vienna is, that there would be more tolerance and embrace of different culture, but it´s quite the opposite. And i find it so ironic because everybody here is a foreigner, if you think about it. Their grandparents even come from other countries (not surprising looking at European history and the size of the Habsburg empire). If I could change anything in Vienna would just be tolerance and embrace of culture and an ounce of positivity.


Customer service, i´m used to getting good service in Iceland but here there is next to none and they get annoyed when you ask for help.

No American pizza restaurants only Italian ones. I really miss the fat juice pizzas like dominos. I would also love american chains like Taco bells. Thank God they have at least Subway here. i love it.

In any country there are things you love and things you hate and normally the love outshines the hate. Overall, Vienna is wonderful.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

The people in Vienna are dead inside. They are cruel, angry and petty. We have lived in six countries and traveled the world. The people of Vienna are the worst that we ever met. On the good side, indeed, nice buildings, then again what is the charm of a city that is beautiful on the outside yet its inhabitants are racists and miserable on the inside?

Anonymous said...

Excuse me? You talk about Vienna as if every single one living there is miserable and dead inside. What a load of bullshit that is. Most people there will smile at you and say hello as you walk by and tell me what part of that involves being cruel? Your comments are not only wrong but also very offensive to people like me who live here. Please enlighten me by giving me a few examples of exactly how the people of Vienna have been racist and miserable inside.

Anonymous said...

Sorry but I have to agree with the first person. I have lived in many countries and have spent years traveling the globe. The people here in Vienna have their heads so far up their own asses that it seems hopeless to me. You would think that after painting their own streets red with the blood of innocent people, that there might be some learning or growth that could sprout from such a dark past; instead ... dead, unfriendly, ready to complain, racist culture. Everyone has their right to their opinion. If you like it in Vienna , great.

Anonymous said...

Oh ... examples you want..... maybe if you have white skin ... people will smile and say hello .... but if not .... they will not ... ever .

Anonymous said...

Smiling on the street is indeed a very common thing in Vienna and extremely typical for the people here. However, Smiling does not include good thoughts and willingness to help but merely just... a good education maybe? As soon as you go by that smile transforms into a mean comment.

Anonymous said...

I am half Austrian and lived in many countries such as Egypt, Switzerland, USA and visitied many corners of the world..
Yes Austria is a beautiful city, yes Austrians are a bunch of discriminating, non tolerant, rude, Balkan influenced people whom their city would much better without.
They consider themselves westerners but in fact they are more eastern than ever... This ridiculous. Magister title that every little wank graduates from university with and insist of having it printed on all his legal documents and be called with it is in fact nothing but a Bachelor degree compared to all the Saxon education system, and this simply conveys how distrbed and inferior they really feel deep inside of them.
Maybe this is for the fact that there are hardly no REAL Austrians in. Vienna, they all have this polish, Balkan, Eastern European roots which explains a lot.

I am not shy to expressing myself loud and clear and look at my failures to learn and work in them, but thanks good I don't suffer from those symptoms.

Anonymous said...

Apology for all the typos and mistakes, but I find it hard typing from a phone :-D

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you! I'm here for about 6 months now, coming from england. And I miss being smiled at from a complete stranger ,and not only that..I don't feel right in here, on the streets, in supermarket anywhere ..If you tell them you don't speak german they give you a look like hell. I hope we'll move back to our beloved newcastle xx

Anonymous said...

explains a lot? What are you trying to say? That all eastern European are as cold as these people? In coming from a ee country and trust me you haven't seen people more kind and helpfull as we are. At least we never forgot our roots and don't go running around with the nose in the sky .. bloody cold fucks

Anonymous said...

I have white skin but trust me it's the same.. and if thye do discriminate by the skin colour the are some racist bastards period! !

Anonymous said...

Belive me...I have lived in Wien for 38 years!!was here for job. I wept at first at the nastiness. all this time later I and hubby are doing ourselves the biggest favour. We are packing up and getting outta Dodge!! My German/dialekt is spot on but last week one bitch in Billa mocked me (my accent) and told me to get out of her country, dirty foreigners "we don´t want you" because I told the lady behind the ham counter, she was pushing in front of 2 working men on their break...no darlings! lovely city but nasty small minded provincial mentality. Some nice ones but majority are LOW LIFE RACIST scum....

Anonymous said...

I must agree about the sheer unpleasantness. I think it is getting worse - even though younger people are travelling more. More people from the "east bloc" are coming to Vienna. It is a mentality thing. Their grandparents/parents grew up in an oppressive state where one had to lie and steal and trick to get anything. So they are now here in Vienna and just adding to the misery. Many East europeans are just as miserable as the Viennese. A happy marriage in spite and envy indeed....

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I'm a Master student and it is horrible. I though they would be much nicer but they aren't. Haven't learnt proper German as my Master's in English. Still, I've been "hiding myself". Not to mention the horrible experience during my MA. 2 years, none of the students actually speak to me (mostly Germans and Austrians) so I'm kind of the black sheep haha. No, seriously, I was expecting much more of this country and it has been such a disappointment. Moreover, it is so bloody expensive for what it offers. Yes, very nice city if you are a tourist but indeed, not for "hot-bloody" people. Can't wait to fly back for good (2 months yaaay!)

Anonymous said...

I toured Vienna in 2016 Jun. I've never felt so unwelcomed in a foreign country and I've been to quite a few. I was abused visually and verbally in Vienna. I will never want to visit Vienna ever again. Hallstatt, Salzburg, Innsbruck are slightly better. Vienna rots.